With Christmas approaching quickly many of you might be scrambling for ideas for that obsessed fly fishing person in your life. I have made a list of 10 great fishy ideas that you can either stuff in their stocking or wrap up under the tree. This is no means a complete list but may give you some ideas that you might not have thought of yet.
10. "Clic" magnetic reading glasses. ($30) I purchased a pair shortly after passing the 40 year old mark, and they are always around my neck when I am on the water. Less expensive than prescription sunglasses, available in a variety of powers, and easy to slip on and off with their built in magnets between the lenses.
9. Fishing DVD. ($20-30) Lots of different subjects to choose from. Improving your techniques to destination travel. There is no such thing as a bad fishing DVD.
8. Montana Fishing Company boat box. ($65) This dry box is great for a pile of streamers or hundreds of smaller flies.
7. Hip or chest pack. ($50-150) Do you need to downsize that 50lbs vest and give your back a break? A hip or chest pack is much more comfortable, limits you to just the essentials. My favorite and what I use is the Sage waist pack. It is made out of waterproof material and waterproof zippers to ensure my fly boxes stay dry.
6. LifeProof iPhone cover. ($80) If you own an iPhone and use around the water, this is a must have. This case is totally waterproof, protecting your phone from accidental drops and perfect for taking underwater photos. Another great invention for those outdoors people who want a little more insurance from the occasional drop or spill.
5. Simms magic back brace. ($100) Do you have chronic back pain? Does your back limit your fishing time? This one piece of equipment will keep you out on the water all day. Many of my clients use this and swear by it everyday.
4. A custom map of many of Montana's famous rivers. ($45-60) Check out www.tgmap.com for these custom wall maps designed by a local surveyor and fly fisherman. These maps look great in the office, man-cave or any empty wall space.
3. Collapsible wading staff. ($100-150) Indispensable when wading. Not only helps your balance but you can fish with more confidence.
2. Brodin wooden landing nets. ($100-175) These wooden nets are a work of art. Superior workmanship and high quality. Many different sizes and shapes to choose from.
1. A fly fishing trip with Montana Trout Wranglers. Gift certificates available—buy one day of guided fishing or a few. Let us put together a trip that they will never forget. Give me a call to discuss the details.
Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to hear about promotions, tips and the latest Montana Fly Fishing news.